Sunday 10 February 2013

Knee Highs

I did it - I actually managed to knit a pair of knee high socks!  Admittedly they are in sport weight yarn, Knit Picks Stroll Sport if you are interested in such things, bought on sale at Great British Yarns.  They used just under four balls of yarn and being that bit thicker went rather fast.  The decreases down the leg helped me get along as I kept knitting on "just to the next decrease" and so on.  I came up with the pattern myself so I could custom make them to fit me, but I will try to gather my notes and write up what I did, it might help someone else?  And help me remember what I did for future reference.  Hopefully these will keep me warm in any cold weather we get, though given the weather today I think making my own galoshes might have been more helpful.

P1020869

They look rather old fashioned to me, in a good way, like something a Victorian woman might have worn under her many petticoats maybe?  Only time will tell whether or not they will stay up effectively, if need be I will channel my inner Miss Mattie (in Cranford) and try knitting some garters to keep them up.

Naturally within minutes of finishing these I was planning the next sock and I am on the first leg chart of Elm socks by Cookie.a from The Knitter's Book of Socks in the most gorgeous green yarn from Countess Ablaze (alas her shop is currently closed due to illness).

P1020874

Is there such a thing as an addiction to sock knitting?

1 comment:

  1. ooh lovely cosy socks, yes I think it absolutely possible to be addicted to sock knitting. I'm still impossibly slow though....

    ReplyDelete